Boston Bombs: First Pictures Of Devices

Images released by US authorities show twisted pieces of metal, wires and nails used in explosions during the marathon.

Boston Marathon bomb FBI evidence

The explosive devices were packed into pressure cookers hidden inside duffel bags.

Boston Marathon bomb FBI evidence

These are two bolts thought to be the lid of the cooker.

Boston Marathon bomb FBI evidence

Nails and ball bearings are thought to have been packed around the explosive.

Boston Marathon bomb FBI evidence

This piece of circuit board suggests the bomb had electronic components.

Boston Marathon bomb FBI evidence

The FBI said pieces of nylon had been recovered from the scene

Boston Marathon bomb FBI evidence

Electrical wiring and a battery were also recovered.

Boston Marathon bomb FBI evidence

FBI Special Agent Richard DesLauriers said all the evidence had been sent to the agency’s lab.

Boston Marathon bomb FBI evidence

Experts in Quantico, Virginia, aim to reconstruct the devices to determine their make-up and components.

Boston Marathon bomb FBI evidence

A source who spoke to the Associated Press said the bomb was packed into 1.6 gallon pressure cookers.

Boston Marathon bomb FBI evidence

The bombs were put into black bags and placed on the ground.

Boston Marathon bomb FBI evidence

Doctors treating the wounded said their injuries indicated the bombs contained metal shards and other shrapnel.

US authorities have released the first pictures of the explosive devices used in the twin blasts which hit the Boston Marathon on Monday.

The images show twisted pieces of a metal container, wires, a battery and a small circuit board which exploded close to the finish line at the race.

In another, a piece of charred wire can be seen attached to a small box and a twisted metal lid with bolts.

The FBI said on Tuesday that a pressure cooker may have been used to build the bombs, with nails, ball bearings and other metal packed around the explosive.

The device may also have been hidden inside rucksacks placed on the ground near the finish line.

Richard DesLauriers, FBI agent in charge said the investigation to find those responsible would be worldwide.

He vowed: “We will go to the ends of the Earth to identify the subject or subjects who are responsible for this despicable crime.”

More than 1,000 officers are working on the investigation which agents have said in the largest the Boston bureau has ever worked on.

Pressure cooker bombs have been used in attacks in Afghanistan, India, Nepal and Pakistan, according to a July 2010 FBI report.

But the techniques of making them is understood to be known to domestic US extremists.

Officials said that there was no indication that al Qaeda or other foreign extremist organisations were behind the attack, but they added the investigation was still at an early stage.

It is not yet known what was used to set off the devices.

A man in a bomb-disposal suit investigates the site of an explosion which went off on Boylston Street during the 117th Boston Marathon in Boston

The damage caused by one of the blasts in Boston

Special agent DesLauriers said experts would reconstruct the devices at the FBI laboratory in Quantico, Virginia.

The FBI also appealed for anyone who was in the area of the marathon or Boston airport in the last few days to send in any pictures they may have taken.

Investigators are already understood to be examining 6,000 movies-worth of CCTV footage from cameras in the area.

Websites and newspapers were already featuring images which they claimed showed people suspected of carrying out the attacks or the devices.

The FBI said it was looking at one sent to a local TV station which appeared to show a bag next to a mailbox in the area where one of the bombs went off.

Jason Pack, FBI spokesman in Boston, said: “We’re taking a look at hundreds of photos and that’s one of them.”

Three people were killed and more than 170 others injured after the two explosions around four hours into the famous marathon.

Two of those killed were Krystle Campbell, 29, and eight-year-old Martin Richard.

The third is understood to be a Chinese graduate student who has been named locally and in China, but not named officially.

Nine children were among the injured, which were aged between two and 71.

Doctors have revealed the extent of the injuries suffered by those caught in the blasts, including details of a nine-year-old girl who lost her leg and a 10-year-old boy who suffered deep shrapnel wounds.

George Velmahos, of Massachusetts General Hospital, said: “These bombs contained small metallic fragments more consistent with pellets and other small pieces of metal, but also spiked points that resembled nails without heads.”

A total of 13 people have had to have limbs amputated and others are at risk of losing legs following the blasts. Seventeen remain in a critical condition.

 

By admin Posted in News

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s